I'm not a photographer, I'm a cook.
Just try this recipe.
It's something I've comprised with a combination of googled recipes I've used throughout the years.
A hybrid of savory and aromatic spices, veggie based ingredients (however, this is interchangeable), creamy coconut milk, and LOVE -- duh.
The Best Damn Halloween Soup of Your Life
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1/2-1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
~6 cardamom pods
Olive oil (or coconut oil)
1 fresh white onion
1 can of full fat coconut milk
Fresh turmeric root, or about 1 Tbsp or more of turmeric powder
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
3/4 of raw butternut squash**
pinch of garam masala (optional)
s&p to taste
** The butternut squash I used was organic, therefore a lot smaller than a generic squash. So, use your best judgement. You might have to just use half of a regular squash.
1. Heat the oil on high/medium heat in a large pot.
2. Dice the whole onion, throw into the pot and add the whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, coriander). This will toast them and make them even more aromatic. Add garlic.
3. Sautee until onion is transparent.
4. Add can of coconut milk and simmer, in the meantime dice butternut squash into cubes.
5. Add butternut squash and add bay leaves.
6. Simmer until butternut squash is fully cooked.
7. Add fresh ginger and turmeric. I like a lot of each so I used maybe 1-2 Tbsp of each :)
8. Take out bay leaves and cinnamon sticks, and blend until a puree.
9. Put contents back into the pot, along with cinnamon sticks and bay leaves, simmer a litter more on low heat.
10. Add fresh veggies.
11. Pinch of garam masala is optional, I just like it extra flavorful.
12. Salt and pepper to your liking.
Serve with jasmine rice, quinoa, or just by itself. Garnish with fresh cilantro!!
You can add meat or tofu if you wanted to as well, or change up the ingredients if you wanted to! Do yo thang.
The color is my favorite part.