Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Fear of "Paleo Diet" (Lavender/Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies)

I'm sick of these fad diets. Like low carb/no carb/no sugar/candida diet/gluten free/grain free/blahdeeblah. 

The key to maintaining good health (including an ideal weight) is to not adopt a temporary diet that "worked for that lady on the internet" but to adopt healthy choices when it comes to food. 

Listen to your body. If you react to gluten, don't eat it! If you don't, enjoy that scone from the local  bakery you've been eyeing in the window the past week. Everything in moderation, right?

Don't restrict yourself from the things you love, however you probably shouldn't eat a pint of ice cream every night... Healthy mind, healthy body :)


So, I saw this recipe for paleo cookies, and immediately I think of the things I've read about the "Caveman Diet". Tons of meat, no seasoning, no processed foods, sugar, etc. I was definitely skeptical! But I actually read further into the ingredients and it wasn't bad at all.

My apologies, but I'm unable to find the original recipe!


2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3 eggs
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp raw honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I just cut a dark chocolate bar up)
2 Tbsp dried lavender leaves/flowers (?)

Mix wet ingredients first, then add dry. Once combined, add chocolate chips and lavender, mix. With a spoon, scoop onto a baking sheet greased with coconut oil and then mold into desired shape. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or so, or until light gold brown. My oven is kind of funky so I had to use convection bake for about 14 minutes.


Deliciousness... and I don't feel like a caveman!


Watching Portlandia, eating a kale salad and cookies :)

The point I'm trying to make here is that you don't have to follow a crazy strict diet to get to where you want to be physically. You also shouldn't be afraid to try new foods or new ways of eating. Expand your palate, keep an open mind, but make healthy choices. 



No comments:

Post a Comment