Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Easy Coconut-Peanut Kale

Shredded coconut and organic peanut butter... Mmm the perfect ingredients for a cookie!
Or kale?

Since I began working at a vegan cafe, I have been (I hate to use this word) stealing so many recipe ideas! Of course I can't make it exactly the way that they do, but I have definitely gotten close. You will learn in time, that when I follow recipes, I never actually "follow" them. I use recipes as guidelines, and add my own twist to adjust to my taste.
The original recipe calls for peanut butter and coconut flour, but all I had was shredded coconut so I pulsed that in a coffee grinder. I also added sesame seeds! (Because I love them so.)

1 bunch of kale
3 Tbsp organic peanut butter (smooth)
1/4 cup ground shredded coconut or coconut flour (unsweetened)
3-4 Tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (you can also use shoyu or "soy sauce")
2-3 generous Tbsp roasted sesame seeds


Steam kale leaves until wilted, not until cooked, an blanch. Cut kale leaves horizontally across stem into 1/2 inch tall pieces. Mix sesame oil, Bragg's/shoyu, coconut flour, and peanut butter together into a large mixing bowl into a runny paste. Mix in kale and sesame seeds. Feel free to sprinkle some extra shredded coconut on top for garnish.

Easy enough right? Sounds like a strange combination, but believe me you will fall in LOVE!!
I also tried mixing in some alfalfa sprouts, and that mixed well also.


A lovely dinner composed of my favorite kale salad, some home made basil hummus (I will add some hummus recipes later), some cut up whole wheat flat bread and carrot sticks. Perfection!


No comments:

Post a Comment